Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Abbottabad /əˈbɒtəbɑːd/ (UrduHindkoایبٹ آباد 

Ābṭ ābād [aːbʈaːˈbaːd̪]) is a city located in the Hazara region of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, in Pakistan. The city is situated in the Orash Valley, 50 kilometres (31 mi) northeast of the capital Islamabadand 150 kilometres (93 mi) east of Peshawar at an altitude of 1,260 metres (4,134 ft) and is the capital of the Abbottabad District. It borders Azad Kashmir to the east. The city is well-known throughout Pakistan for its pleasant weather, high-standard educational institutions and military establishments.
H

Former name of the town was 'Urasa' often called Wadi-e-Orash (Orash valley). Nawanshehr village was established in 1723 it remained a village during the British Raj. After the independence of Pakistan in 1947, the area was developed. The town was built and named NAWANSHEHR meaning "The New City". There used to be a fort built by the Sikhs near Ilyasi Masjid. Now there is no sign of this fort but that area is still known as Mohallah Qilla (Fort). Sixty-three people of the village went and fought for the British army in the Second World War.
Many ruins from British era can bee seen in the town sculptured on the walls, particularly in the old town. Famous spring locally known as 'Naray' is locked in the town, which was once a Hindu temple and bathing place. The area is now been developed into a water supply schema, that pumps water to major areas within the town.
Nawanshehr is a town in Abbottabad District in Khyber Pakthunkhwa of Pakistan. Nawanshehr's most famous place is Ilyasi Masjidwhich is the oldest and largest mosque of Abbottabad, there is also a small hill with walking tracks just behind the masjid. The weather is pleasant in summer, so people from other parts of country come to visit Abbottabad and Nawanshehr. Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education of Abbottabad is also in Nawanshehr. Nawanshehr has its own old bazaar which is famous for its Chapli Kebab